Parenting can be a tough job. It can be even tougher if you are a parent of an anxious child. Over the past year, I’ve cried with you, rejoiced with you and shared some insight into parenting an anxious child so you might feel a little less alone. Today I want to share ten tips I think every parent of an anxious child should know and let you in on a little secret project I have been working on!
* This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure.
We all know just how hard this parenting gig with an anxious child really is. If you are like me, you read anything and everything you can get your hands on because something has to work, right? So every time an article comes across your feed or into your inbox that seems like it could help, you read it… hoping to find the answers you need. I won’t pretend to have all the answers. In fact, I am going down this path right along side you! However, I can tell you I have read all those articles, I have read the books, I have even taught some of these kids. I am walking this adventure with you as we speak.
Because I know just how hard it can be to feel like you have a grasp on your child’s big emotions and anxiety, I have been working secretly behind the scenes on something very big that I can’t wait to tell you about. So, after you read these 10 tips to get you started, head to the bottom of this post where I share my big plan! But for now, lets get to the tips to help you today!
10 Tips Every Parent of an Anxious Child Should Know
- It’s Okay to Get Frustrated | One of the biggest struggles I have as a parent of an anxious child is knowing how to handle all of the situations we get thrown into. Often times I find my self being a louder mom than I ever intended to be. While yelling can be extremely natural for many of us, there are simple ways to stop yelling (or at least yell less). This tip has saved many of vocal cords and outbursts in our house.
- Your Child Needs You to Guide Them | Are you ever at a loss of what to say? Feel like you can’t say anything to help guide your little one to a calmer path? Some days you just try to get out the door without a meltdown or attack? I feel your pain! Once I started using some of these phrases with my anxious child, I felt more peace come over our family. In fact, these 13 phrases to calm an anxious child have been so helpful, parents all over the world just like you have used this time and time again this year with their children.
- Sometimes There are No Words That Can Comfort | As parents, we are problem solvers by nature. If our little ones are hurt, we want nothing more than to be able to pick them up, hug them and patch them up. We want our children to be happy and know the love we have for them. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for an anxious child to refuse help. Sometimes we have to try strategies and tips that do not involve any talking at all. You will find 15 tips for parents of an anxious child to calm their child when words don’t work.
I’m dying to know… Take me to the big secret NOW!
4. You Are Your Child’s Advocate | You know who your child really is. You get to see the real child without the meltdowns, wrapped in hugs, and full of laughter. You might not get to see that kid very often but you know they are there! Don’t give up on that kid! That kid needs you more than ever! Dig deep, find what you love about your child and help them find those things as well!
5. The Solution Doesn’t Have to Cost a Fortune | Sure, there are tons of expensive programs and therapies out there that can help your child be their best self. However, help doesn’t have to come in large packages. In fact, there are some pretty simple hacks that can help calm an anxious child pretty easily.
6. Visual Schedules Can Greatly Reduce Anticipation | Oh, how I wish I had known about the benefits of visual schedules and charts long before I did. Let these be your friend. Use them frequently and when anxiety is building! This is a tool every parent of an anxious child needs.
Enough with the tips… Take me to the big secret NOW!
7. Your Marriage Deserves 2 Minutes a Day | Parenting a child with anxiety or big emotions can take a huge toll on you and the ones you love most! Trust me when I tell you that these 2 minutes could save your marriage!
8. Not All Kids Just Know How to Play | One thing that is left out of a lot of the parenting advice is that your child might not be very social. In fact, they might even seem very “immature” or lack social boundaries. The good news is there are a few steps you can take to help teach social skills when it doesn’t come easy.
9. Some Days Might Break You | It’s true. Not many people want to admit that parenting an anxious child could break you. Some might even glaze over the truth of those ugly days. However, I want you to know you are not alone! Not one bit. Ever parent deserves to know that they are only human on those days they break and there are others how there going through the same struggles as you. On those days, sometimes you need a community of like-minded people to fall back on.
10. Sometimes You Need Help | Sometimes this parenting gig is bigger than we know how to take it on. Some days it can feel like there is no way to move forward because there are way too many obstacles, while other days can feel like we are taking 20 steps backwards. Trying to muddle through this journey alone can be tough, exhausting, and defeating. The good news is you don’t have to do it alone! I have a secret I’ve been working on that I can’t wait to share with you so you don’t have to be alone in this and you can get the help you need!
This post is just one of many amazing parenting tips from trusted bloggers. I love and respect each and every one of these parenting bloggers and I know that you can gain some great tips and advice from them.
You can read about everything from potty training to calming meltdowns. It is a resource that I am proud to be part of!
Remember how I told you I have something secret I have been working on just for you? Well, now’s the time to learn more! I have been researching for the last two years to find the best resources for calming an anxious child and I think I have found some pretty amazing secrets that I can’t wait to share with you!
You can join me in a FREE 10 Day Email Series to get the top secrets on how to calm your anxious child so both of you can have a better day!
Even better, I have created a special community just for you, so you no longer have to feel alone and frustrated. You can get the help you need. We can cry together, laugh together and learn how to equip our children with tools to be successful together!
You will get 10 secrets no one else will tell you about calming an anxious child delivered straight to your inbox. This is 10 MORE secrets than the tips here. This is 10 MORE tips you can use now. Even better this is direct access to a community of others just like you! Simply click the button to enroll and watch your inbox for the help you have been waiting for.
PRE-ORDER THE SUPERKIDS ACTIVITY GUIDE TO
CONQUERING EVERY DAY
Exclusive bonuses and gifts to empower children, help you connect, and help you understand your child's behaviors!!
PRE-ORDER NOW TO RECEIVE THESE AMAZING BONUSES
ENDS AUGUST 15, 2017 (or while supplies last)