We are all looking for simple ways to get our kids to eat healthy. Whether it’s getting them to eat more vegetables, eat a more balanced diet or simply just enjoy eating, all of us parents are constantly looking for ways to get our kids to eat great and love it! Along with our wonderful sponsors, Jamba Juice, we want to share a few tips to getting kids to eat great all the time (and actually enjoy it, too).
I have always been pretty lucky with kids that love to eat healthy. They love vegetables, they usually make healthy choices, and they eat healthy portions. However, I know it isn’t always that easy. I know some children struggle due to sensory needs, some struggle due to a lack of exposure, and some just need a little help.
Be a Good Role Model | Children will often look to their parents to see what habits regarding eating they should follow. If you are unwilling to try new foods, or you snack between meals, your children most likely will do the same. The opposite is true as well. If your children see you eating fresh foods, vegetables and daily portions of fresh fruit and water, they will be more likely to follow this trend.
Introduce New Foods | Trying new foods can be one of the hardest parts about getting children to eat healthy. The easiest way to do this is to start early offering new foods. One tip that I love to remember is that you should re-introduce a new food several times. In our home, we tell our children “Our taste buds are constantly changing. You never know when you might just like this new food. ”
Offer Variety | Providing children with choice and variety give them the control they are seeking when they refuse certain foods. If they don’t like eggs the first time, try them a different way tomorrow or next week. Try the veggies raw, boiled, baked, in smoothies and a variety of ways. I always hated brussel sprouts growing up. It wasn’t until someone cooked them on a roasting pan with pistachios that I fell in love.
Focus on the Positive | Its important to always make eating a pleasurable experience. Involving punishments and focusing on the things your child WON’T eat will only make meal times more difficult.
Try Different Textures | Often times children are avoiding certain foods due to their textures, NOT their taste. Your child might not enjoy the texture of raw mango, but might love the way it tastes in a smoothie or fresh juice.
Involve the Kids | Allow your children to make choices. When children feel like they are in control, they are more likely to try new things and do it with a happier attitude. You know they need protein, so instead of forcing the chicken that they are refusing, why not try offering a protein smoothie or another protein option with a different texture?
Eat with Your Kids | This one seems so simple, but many parents don’t have the time to sit and each each meal with their children. We are on the go, busy and bustling around to different places. However, I challenge you to take the time to enjoy healthy eating choices with your children. Whether this is a quick eat/drink at your favorite juice shop or a dinner at home with the wide variety we talked about earlier, taking the time to eat with your children will allow you to talk with them, monitor their eating and learn what they do and don’t like.
Include Something They Like | Wouldn’t every child like to pick their meals all the time? We all know that can’t really happen all the time because they might choose ketchup packets for every meal (Okay maybe not that bad.) If you know your child is going to be frustrated with a portion of the meal, include at least one favorite alongside the new and challenging food.
We had the pleasure of visiting our local Jamba Juice for a family outing the other day and had some of the new Ready to Drink Juices. These were perfect for the kids since they are packed with vitamins, nutrients and flavor! There were so many flavors to choose from, it was hard to pick.
- Tropical Greens:
- For a truly tropical flavor, we’ve combined apples, pineapples, Supergreens, and Chia seeds. This is one island that will never be deserted.
- Citrus Kick:
- When you really want to bring up the brightness in your day, try this blend of oranges, apples, pineapples, and ginger. Just don’t forget your sunglasses.
- Veggie Harvest:
- Take some apples. Then take some carrots, and beets, and super greens and ginger. Then take a minute to drink it all down and wonder how you ever got through your day without it.
- Orange Reviver:
- When your day feels like 5 days, revive with an Orange Reviver. We’ve taken oranges, apples, bananas, beets and Chia seeds and turned them into a spirit-lifting, taste bud-hugging masterpiece of mixology.
- Carrot Cayenne:
- Carrots. Apples. Ginger. Cayenne Pepper. It’s carrot with a kick, and it’s going to wake up taste buds you never even knew you had.
- Garden Medley:
- Is there such a thing as too many servings of vegetables? Not when they make up a melodious medley like this. Try one and enjoy delicious, perfectly portioned vegetables and a splash of apple, all living together in perfect harmony. Just like Mother Nature intended.
- Orange Carrot Twist:
- The fresh, tangy brightness of the orange meets the smooth, earthy sweetness of the carrot. Some things were just meant to be.
- Orange Berry Antioxidant:
- For juice lovers that know the more, the merrier, we’ve squeezed this orange and double berry masterpiece. It’s The Works of Juices.
- Kale Orange Power:
- Green means go-go-go with this delicious blend of fresh orange juice, kale and bananas. And as good source of vitamins and manganese, it’s hard to stop sipping. Get ready for the perfect fuel to power through your day.
- Triple Revitalizer:
- Do bananas have juice? Yep. But don’t take our word for it, just ask the oranges and carrots in this awesome blend of potassium-loaded goodness.
- Tropical Kick-Start:
- We took the American breakfast staple on a trip to the tropics. The result? A juice blend that will take your taste buds on vacation.
The boys immediately fell in love with the Citrus Kick and the Tropical Kick Start! I had a small taste and thought it was quite refreshing as well! These healthy fresh pressed juices were perfect for little hands and delicious on-the-go goodness.
The best part is that these fresh squeezed juices are 100% juice with no preservatives. You can’t beat that for a special treat!
ORDER THE SUPERKIDS ACTIVITY GUIDE TO
CONQUERING EVERY DAY
Every Hero's Journey Has A Guide
Help your Superkid unlock their real potential.
Learn more about Dayna's new best-selling book, The Superkids Activity Guide To Conquering Every Day.