I love making fun cupcakes that are easy for the kids to help make. These Ghoulish Ghost Cupcakes make quite the impression while being simple and quick – perfect if you have a party or large classroom snack to make!
* This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure.
These Halloween cupcakes come together quickly, using a simple trick of a marshmallow covered in white chocolate or candy melts to form the “ghost” perched on top of delicious vanilla buttercream.
While we used from-scratch chocolate cupcakes as our base (and we provide the recipe below), you can easily use boxed chocolate cake mix to speed up the process.
How to Make Ghost Cupcakes
First, assemble your ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
For the ghost decoration:
Next, prepare the chocolate cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.