Can you believe it is already that time of year again? Time to pull out the Advent calendar and fill it will goodness. In our house this is a tradition we have had since the boys were tiny. We have an advent calendar that we got from Target after Christmas one year that has served us well. I never even thought of making my own until I recently saw a friend write about a DIY advent calendar she was working on. So I went on a hunt to see if I could find some creative and unique DIY Advent Calendar Ideas!
Wow, did I ever find some cool advent calendars! With plenty of prep time and plenty of patience, we might just be able to make some of our own this year and set aside our tried and true advent calendar we have had for years.
Creative and Unique DIY Advent Calendar Ideas
- Morning Creativity: Paper Roll Christmas Calendar
- I love how this uses paper towel rolls, yet looks so “professional”
- DIY Network: Now Sew Advent Calendar Bags
- Anytime I can make something without sewing, I am a happy momma.
- Destination Craft: Muffin Tin Advent Calendar
- I never would have thought of using a muffin tin for an advent calendar. I love how it is so simple.
- Next to Nicx: Robot Advent Calendar
- By far my absolute favorite. This one entices me to create a DIY advent calendar. I know both my boys would love something like this.
- Mr. Printables: Christmas Street Advent Calendar
- This one reminds me of all the little cities I would make with my students when we learned about communities. Bones would really like this one.
- Studio DIY: Punch Box Advent Calendar
- Who wouldn’t want to punch this day after day?
- Canadian Living: Christmas Elf Advent Calendar
- Bones loves playing with anything tiny and anything Christmas. This would be a great addition.
- Monkey Choa: Pinata Advent Calendar
- Wow! How awesome would this be?
- Design Sponge: Falling Stars Advent Calendar
- I love the nature element in this one. Seems so simple, yet so elegant.
- Oh Happy Day: Mini Tree Advent Calendars
- I don’t have a place to display this one, but it makes me smile every time I look at it.
What Goes in Our Advent Calendar?
About 2 weeks before Thanksgiving the boys start to ask when the Advent calendar will be making its appearance. In the past, I have been uncreative and just added a Hershey Kiss in each door. Last year, however, I became frustrated with this part of the tradition, as I didn’t really want the boys eating candy EVERY DAY until Christmas.
That’s why I decided to start a little earlier with some planning.
I sat down with the boys and asked them for 25 of their wishes. What do they wish we could do together as a family? What memory would they want to make? What exploration do they want to do? This coincides really well with our first week of homeschool because the children are interested and eager to try many new crafts and explorations.
Our Very Own Advent Calendar Activity List
- Movie Night
- Pancakes for Dinner
- Stay up Late Day
- Make Cookies
- Hot Cocoa Buffet
- Tape Track Floor
- Feet Painting
- Car Painting
- Toilet Paper Marble Run
- Yarn Ball Ornaments
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Salt Dough Ornaments
- Build a City
- Jello Jigglers
- Homemade Water Beads
- Edible Playdough
- Shaving Cream Fun
- Calm Down Sensory Jars
- Decorating the Tree
- Finger Knit Necklaces
- Make our own Gift Boxes
- Snow Globes
My plan is to type this list onto small pieces of paper and insert them into the calendar randomly. After finishing our list, I couldn’t help but research what other people like to do for their activities since this is only our first year adding this to our traditions.
So if your children are too young to give you ideas or you just need a few ideas to get you started, I found the following lists extremely helpful…
10 Advent Calendar Activity Lists
- Living Montessori Now: Hundreds of Holiday Activities
- Crazy With Twins: 24 Family Activities
- Hip Homeschool Moms: Family Friendly Advent Activities
- Carrots For Michaelmas: 25 Advent Picture Books
- Apartment Therapy: Advent Activity List
- The Peaceful Mom: Printable Advent Activities
- Modern Parents Messy Kids: Activity list
- The Minimalist Mom: Clutter Free Calendar
- Imagination Tree: 20 Christmas Activities
- Dirt and Boogers: Advent Calendar Ideas
What do you add to your Advent Calendar? Do you make your own or fill a pre-made one? I would love to know.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram or subscribe by email in the sidebar. I can’t wait to hear your ideas.
PRE-ORDER THE SUPERKIDS ACTIVITY GUIDE TO
CONQUERING EVERY DAY
Exclusive bonuses and gifts to empower children, help you connect, and help you understand your child's behaviors!!
PRE-ORDER NOW TO RECEIVE THESE AMAZING BONUSES
ENDS AUGUST 15, 2017 (or while supplies last)